Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Dirty Finger

Today I voted for the national elections for the first time. It was a family affair as all six of us in the family went to the precincts at the same time. I did not have a hard time finding my precinct because my precinct is the first one you will see upon entering the school where the voting is being held. An advantage of having surname that starts with letter A is that you'll easily find your surname on the voter's list, my name was located on the first page of the list. We came in the voting precincts at 7:30 am, and I was surprised that many people are already there. The line in my precinct was okay and I got in quickly. The teachers in the precinct were former teachers of my brother and they had a short chat and I overheard the rant of the teacher that how she wish she was not there, it was evident in her face that she does not like what she was doing. I could not blame her, I bet she has been doing that for years yet she is not receiving what she deserves. Anyways, I went on and voted. My choices for senators, may seem odd. I voted mostly for the candidates that are not that popular and some even virtually unknown, but I did some research and I like their platforms and background. I know its unlikely that 60% of the people I voted will win but still I voted for them because I believe in them and I don't like to vote because of popularity's sake.Most of the candidates that were topping the surveys were not included in my list, I don't like most of them and even if they are sure winners I'm glad that I did not vote for them. I had a dilemma a while ago because I only had 11 senators, but I did not want to waste the remaining slot and it took me a while to pick my 12th senator, its quite ironic that the there were so many choices (almost 40 people ran for the senate) but I still had difficulty completing my line up. As for the other positions, I admit that a lot of names were so unfamiliar to me. With that I decided to vote for the candidates who belong to a party that I trust and had a good record. It's quite risky but I hope I made the right decision. As for the party list, there were so many groups to pick but I notices that majority of those groups are not that really representing a marginalized sector but more of socio-political activists. I voted for a party list that represented the disable because I do believe that they are not represented in the government.And within the span of an hour, I've accomplished one important responsibility: to vote. Many of my peers opted not to vote because of many reasons like they find it useless. For me it's not, yes our electoral process has its flaws, but I'm not giving up. Voting is a way for us to show that we care for the welfare of the nation. The political situation may seem hopeless but if we the citizens give up, the more the country will suffer. Yes, our votes could be cheated, but you could not complain to something you were not a part of (especially that even if you have the opportunity to vote, you decided not to exercise it). Your choices may not win but because you voted you have the right to demand to the winners to prove you wrong and show you they are deserving of the position.Yes, it is just one vote, but it makes a difference.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless your term as the new EIC of HF. don't forget my excusive copy. I'm just a text away. ^^
-CMC

ps: BUTI KA PA NAKABOTO T__________T
lss: es-cu-de-ro sa senado (to the tune of sugod by sandwich. XD

lateralus said...

Nabura na yung indelible ink ko! Makakaboto ulit bukas! hehe

aajao said...

hi jecoup. congratulations on your voting debut... welcome to the world of democracy!

:)

atto aryo said...

Wise voting! Keep it up. Joining the ignorant, impressionable mass is no fun. :-)