Thursday, June 12, 2008

News = Sad Face

I was really shocked when news broke out that Broadcast Journalist Ces Drilon and her two TV crew were kidnapped allegedly by the Abu Sayyaff. I'm really worried about Ces and company, this is so scary. The pundits are asking for ransom reports say. But ABS CBN declined to give in. I understand their point but I don't know how could the TV crew be saved. There has been limited reports regarding the crisis which I think is good so as to avoid the plans of the powers that on saving Ces and her TV crew to be spoiled. I could imagine the horror their family is feeling right now. Nakakapraning
***
I read in PDI that we are the only country left in the world who follows a 10 year education system with 6 years in elementary and 4 years in High School since the rest of the world is now following the 12 year schooling system with a middle school/junior high. I read that the problem is that our education system is being compressed resulting to "a little bit of this and that" but without any concentration. If you come to think most of the student enter college at the age of 16 and well I noticed that a lot of freshmen are not yet "mature" for college, in the other countries people enter college at the age of 18. But well it is still debatable since age could not really say much about maturity. Of course there are schools here in the country who have a grade 7 but those are the private-elite schools. But are the products of those schools really have an edge?
If you ask me personally, a 12 year education system is really a great idea since it will provide more intensive learning for the students but the problem here in our country is that we don't have finances to back it up. Come on, many statistics already mentioned that the number of students who enrolled in grade 1 will not finish high school, worst elementary even. Plus there are already problems with lack of rooms and facilities in our public schools with the present 10 year system what if we add two more years, where will the students have their classes? On the roof tops?
***
There was this news I watched last night where some elementary kids got food poisoned from the puto they bought from their teachers. I feel bad for the kids but I also feel bad for the teachers and even the lady who provides the puto. Those teachers are so underpaid that they have to eat their pride and sell stuff for more income then this happened. I could feel how guilty the teachers are feeling right now. What a twist of fate isn't it? The puto maker was also interviewed, she is a middle aged lady who have been baking and selling putos for 17 years and she claims that this is the first time this happened. It may have been the fault of the lady since she may have neglected some stuff but for sure it was not intentional but what can she do her reputation has already been tarnished. Could she still putos and what if this is the business that helps them survive each day? Life is so hard.
***
And I also watched another news feature the other day about the clearing operations of sidewalk vendors near schools by the MMDA. I know the purpose of the MMDA but I can't help but feel sad for the vendors. Especially when I saw the vendors crying (some hysterical) when their goods were confiscated. Sometimes I think if there could be a way where the two parties could be both happy?
***
That's why I sometimes shy reading/watching news because this kind of news err reality depresses me.

No comments: