Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscars 2012: Best Original Song Square Off

The 84th Academy Awards is happening on Monday (Philippine time) and one thing I'm really disappointed this year is the Best Original Song category where only TWO songs are nominated. I was really frustrated that they snubbed The Muppets' "Life's a Happy Song" which is a fun, energetic song to watch on stage during the awards night. But well it didn't matter anyway because even if the song got nominated we won't be seeing a performance after all since the Academy dropped the original song performances this year! The two nominated songs: "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets nd "Real in Rio" from Rio could have interesting and entertaining production numbers but oh well (and frankly could have provided an entertaining intermission to an otherwise too serious awards show). I hope the music branch of the Academy will do a better job this year.

Anyway, the two songs deserved their nomination! Many Oscar watchers are predicting "Man or Muppet" will prevail given the brilliant funny composition of Flight of the Conchords' Bret Mackenzie but "Real in Rio" is a show stopper type song no less composed by the legendary Sergio Mendes. So in my 2012 Oscar Awards predictions I posted earlier, I predicted "Real in Rio" will win. I think the Academy will take the opportunity to reward Mendes. But anyway whichever song wins, I'll be happy. But still, the fact that the Academy robbed us of seeing Anne Hathaway (for Rio) and Jason Segel (for the Muppets) perform on stage still saddens me. Here are the nominated songs:

"Real in Rio" from Rio



"Man or Muppet" from The Muppets

No comments: