Saturday, December 30, 2017

My Top 10 Favorite Movies of 2017

Unfortunately, another year where I saw few movies (that I want to) in the theaters this year. I was especially disappointed I was not able to watch more movies in Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino, Cinemalaya, Cinema One Originals and even MMFF (I haven't seen a single entry this year)

So my choices were not as vast but still these ten 2017 Philippine releases were really the highlights of my movie watching year

10. Baby Driver
- It's a conventional heist story but delivered with precision from editing to the use of music. A truly entertaining ride

9. Birdshot
- One of the two movies I've seen on Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino last August and it was worth it. It started a little slow but the build up was intense and the climax had me at the edge of my seat

8. La La Land
- The Oscar front runner that lost the big award. I understand why there was an overrated backlash but without the awards standard it had to measure, this musical is pure delight. A lovely homage to the classic musicals while having its own unique touch.

7. Love You to the Stars and Back
- Don't mistake this movie as another love team vehicle for their fans' delight. This conversation-driven movie is an engaging philosophical journey of people dealing with things bigger than they could handle. 

6. Logan
- Hugh Jackman's iconic turn as Wolverine ends in a big way with this riveting story where we saw the famous character under a new light. 

5. War for the Planet of the Apes
The trilogy ends on top with a powerful conclusion headlined by another masterful performance from Andy Serkis,

4. Respeto
This year's Cinemalaya winner speaks a powerful message about the society today through  the poetic verses of rap. It's a mindblowing experience. 

3. Get Out
 A creepy movie but not in the way you expected. The movie haunts the viewer on a visceral level.

2. Wonder
Based on the best selling children's book, the movie spoke to me in a way I didn't expect. I simply love the movie's core message that each one of  us is battling our own personal issues so as much as possible always choose to be kind.

1. Coco
Yes another year where an animated movie tops my list but what I can do, these movies really captures my heart and always leave a lasting impression to me. Coco is a visual masterpiece as one would expect from a Pixar production but this one was just so good that I had to watch it twice. And both times I saw it, it left me teary eyed. The story is conventional but the heart is the right place. I love its message about the importance of honoring the memory of our loved ones.

****
Favorites from the past years:


No comments: